Applications are now open for the Jakarta Stories 10-day documentary workshop with the theme ‘Storytelling with Reality’.
This will be another project-led workshop to produce 4 x 3′ films. Each film should offer an original insight to the identity of the city through a personal/character led story while exploring disability.
Outcomes: This introduction practice-led course in documentary will allow you to:
- Understand how to work in a team
- Develop an understanding of creative documentary
- Explore current examples of creative documentary
- Develop an idea into a short creative film
- Test its effectiveness as an engaging film
- Learn the appropriate way to film it
- Work with characters
- Develop interview techniques
- Shoot the appropriate shots to form a sequence
- Record sound
- Communicate and edit your film with an editor
- Shape your finished film into a story that works dramatically and emotionally
- Produce a 3’ documentary
Jakarta Stories provides an opportunity for Indonesian filmmakers to hone their skills in making documentary films creatively. This program is open to applicants who have been involved in film production (documentary / fiction) and is open to applicants with disabilities. We will choose 12–16 filmmakers from various backgrounds in filmmaking skills to take part in the program for 10 days. The selected participants will be divided into 4 teams consisting of members with disabilities and non-disabilities. Each team will produce 1 short documentary film which will be screened at the end of the program. Each selected participant must be open to work as a director, camera, editing, recorder / sound designer, or other position required by each team.
Stories participants will receive world-class guidance from Scottish Documentary Institute mentors who have worked in various countries and produced award-winning documentaries. Participants will also gain valuable experience in building teams and processing ideas creatively. With the challenge of working in such a short time, participants will share tears and laughter, and a film that they can be proud of together.
When: 3-13 October, 2020
Where: Jakarta (details to follow)
Closing registration: February 9 2020
- The registration form can be accessed online .
- Applicants can fill in as many forms as possible with different story ideas.
- Each applicant must register individually, even though they already have their own work team.
- Indonesian citizen filmmaker.
- A strong interest in telling stories through a short 3-5 minute documentary.
- Able to work well together in a team.
- Shooting location in Jakarta.
- Basic technical skills in making documentary / fiction films.
- Committed to following the entire program schedule and contributing to completing documentaries.
- Have a story idea and have done research on the subject / character.
During the workshop selected participants will get
- Production facilities: camera, voice recorder, computer editing.
- Lunch, coffee / tea.
- Transportation / accommodation subsidies.
We will select participants based on their previous work, skills, and most importantly commitment and willingness to work hard.